If you have a shed in your back yard and it needs a new roof, you may wonder which material would be best in Massachusetts. Asphalt shingles and metal roofing are the two most popular options for home and shed roofs in Plymouth and Bridgewater, MA. You may wonder which one is better. Well, they both have their benefits and drawbacks. And you can always opt for a metal and asphalt shingle combination roof.
Let’s go over the pros and cons of each roofing option for your shed – asphalt shingle and metal roof materials.
Architectural Shingle Roofing: Pros
- Shingles are the most common roofing material on homes, so you can more easily match the style of your shed to your home.
- Shingles feature visual texture and dimension with plenty of color variation within each shingle. Size can differ too for contrast.
- Shingles absorb heat, so your asphalt shingle shed will be warmer in the winter than if it sported a metal roof.
- Shingles cost less than metal.
Architectural Shingle Roofing: Cons
- Shingles absorb heat, so your shed will be warmer in summer.
- Shingles are petroleum-based products and as such aren’t a very eco-friendly option when they end up in the landfill.
- Shingles are more prone to wind damage.
- Shingle roofs can grow algae and moss in damp environments.
Metal Roofing: Pros
- Metal roofs last longer than shingle roofs.
- Metal is lightweight and durable, and is resistant to harsh weather.
- Metal reflects heat, so your metal roof shed will be cooler in the summer.
- Metal is a more eco-friendly option, as you can recycle it at the end of its lifespan.
- Metal roofing brings you more options in terms of color and texture.
Metal Roofing: Cons
- Metal roofing may be loud when it rains or hails.
- Metal roofs can dent or scratch when hit by hail or falling tree limbs.
- Your metal roof shed will be colder in winter than a shed with shingles. The reverse is true in summer.
- Metal roofing costs more than shingle roofing.
So which one should you go with for your shed? This is a personal decision that will depend on your budget, style preferences, and how long you plan to have the shed.
Roof Design & Installation in Massachusetts
Need help deciding? We can help. To learn more about the pros and cons of metal vs. shingle roofs for your shed, contact us today at 781-536-4589 for a free quote and consultation by our skilled roofers in Plymouth, Hanover and Bridgewater, MA and the South Shore. If you can’t decide, ask us about our metal and shingle combination roofs.
Had my metal roof installed this month, I LOVE IT. Super professional, great communication, prompt with everything. Thank you so much for making this experience a good one. I highly recommend this company!